Membership in the Altar Society includes all the women of St. Luke’s Parish who participate in our activities in any way. Monthly meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7:00pm. While all women are encouraged to attend the meetings, there are many other ways to serve and be a part of the group.
The primary purpose of the Altar Society is the care and set up of the sanctuary environment, which includes changing the Altar linens and banners, washing & ironing the purificators, replacing burned out candles, and placing seasonal flowers on the Altar.
Other activities of the organization include:
- Collecting donations to procure the live flowers for Christmas and Easter, and provide fresh flowers at the Blessed Mother’s statue on her special feast days.
- Holding a Thanksgiving Bake Sale to purchase items for the Thanksgiving & Christmas Food Baskets given out by the Church’s Food Pantry.
- Staffing a booth or table during the annual Parish Festival to assist with fund raising.
- Preparing the Priests’ meal prior to our Lent & Advent Penance services.
- Stock & maintain the Religious Articles Booth in the Church.
- Assisting at parish social functions, including serving & clean-up for First Communion and Confirmation receptions.
- Participating in the Lenten Stations of the Cross by presenting one of the Friday reflections using “Mary’s Way of the Cross”.
- Alternating with the Knights of Columbus in preparing a non meat supper prior to the Stations of the Cross on the Fridays during Lent.
- Coordinating the Parish Prayer Chain and praying for the many intentions.
- Holding various social events such as our annual “Bring a Friend Night” and a Newcomer’s Dinner held every other year. Entertainment and guest speakers are brought in for these events.
- Our Sunshine Committee sends cards to all active members during illness, etc.
- We provide support in various outreach ministries as the Haiti & Hispanic collections and financial support to parishioners discerning religious vocations, and/or an adoted Deacon in priestly formation.
Our women’s group is a supporting member of the Nashville Diocesan Council of Catholic Women (NDCCW) and have been host to their quarterly meetings. We also send representatives to the National Council of Catholic Women(NCCW) annual meetings.
A “Pink Flyer” is published monthly in the church bulletin immediately preceding the monthly meeting which highlights coming events along with the agenda for the meeting. Dues are $1.00 per month or $10 for the year.
Our Officers are:
President: Cyndi Gartung
Vice President: Marge Large
Treasurer: Cindy Warner
Recording Secretary: Sue Holland
Correspondence Secretary: Sharon Nelson